Sunday, March 13, 2011

Even more shaping


I’m back!  Sorry for the delay.  I enjoyed my time down under, but I’m also glad to be making progress on my chair again. 

Today I completed the shaping of the left back leg (ear) and headrest (crestrail).  Having done one already, the second one went much faster.  I’m still loving the microplane.  It removes wood aggressively, yet it provides a lot of control. 

I had a spot on the back of the headrest where I ground too deep with the Holey Galahad.  To even things up, I bought a sanding disk for my angle grinder.  I used a 100 grit disk and formed the headrest so that both sides tapered evenly.  This was actually a good mistake because it thinned and lightened the headrest which I think is a better look.  It was a bit top heavy before.

You might notice on the right hand side of the picture that the back leg is cut rather deeply on the inside, just below the headrest.  That was a mistake I made when cutting the angles on the bandsaw.  I didn’t compensate for the deeper cut on the backside due to the angle.  Most of my screw-ups to date have been something I can fix.  This one I can’t.  I may have to shape the other leg just to make it symmetrical. I don’t like the look, but it will have to do for now.  This is another lesson to apply to the next chair.

The next step will be to shape the arms.  I think this will be challenging, but fun too.

No comments:

Post a Comment