Saturday, April 16, 2011

More Spindle Shaping


Sorry for the delay, but I’ve been on vacation.  I should now have more time to dedicate to my chair.  Today I was able to complete two more spindles.  I again used the angle grinder with a sanding attachment to round over the back.  Then I follow up with an orbital sander.  Then I hand shape the ends to round them to fit the seat and the headrest.  After I had shaped the seat end of the #2 spindle, I noticed that it leaned back quite a bit.  I stupidly pulled the spindle forward and then heard a loud “snap”.  Doh!  I should have spent some time shaping the bottom so that the spindle would move forward with just slight pressure.  Instead, I ended up with a big crack.  It appears to be along a knot, so the spindle may not have endured the life of the chair anyway.  I was not happy to have broken a part, but fortunately I had a spare.


I moved on and completed spindle #3, and then shaped another one that I labeled as #2.  The spindles are not in the headrest at this point.  They are simply taped to the back.  
Two down, two to go.   



No comments:

Post a Comment