Sunday, July 17, 2011

Dirty Little Secret


Happy 4th of July!  
(I forgot to post this after I wrote it.  Hence, the incorrect date.)

I’ve spent most of my weekend in the shop, but that’s fun for me.  The sanding still continues.  I managed to get all of the legs screwed and glued in place.  I also have the arms screwed and glued, so there’s no going back now. 

In the months since I originally cut the parts, the wood has moved.  That means that the joints are no longer tight.  My dirty little secret?  Wood filler.  I know this is a cheat and may be unprofessional for fine furniture, but with gaps in the joints, there was really no other choice. 

I made my own filler by mixing Titebond II glue and walnut dust from my previous sanding.  I use old business cards and a toothpick to mix the filler.  I mix it into a thin paste. 

One thing I learned was to apply the filler sparingly!  Here’s a picture of a joint with filler that is applied much too thick.  This resulted in a lot more sanding.  Since I hate sanding, this was not a wise move.  However, after sanding (for many hours), the joint did come out looking pretty good.  The next step is to complete sanding of the other arm and then move onto the headrest. 




No comments:

Post a Comment