Sunday, July 31, 2011

Rockers (Part 5)


Today I finished sculpting the back legs into the rockers.

Here are some pictures before the sculpting.  You can clearly see that the legs, which are oriented straight front-to-back, are off set from the rockers, which are oriented at 8 degrees.  This makes the sculpting a bit of a challenge.


I started by using my angle grinder with a sanding disk to quickly blend the rockers and legs.  Then I used my microplane to round the corners on the outside of the legs and on the transitions.  The insides of the legs were left with hard line corners.  I finally went over everything with the random orbital sander and 60 grit paper to quickly remove the scratch marks.  Here are pictures of the final product.  The last picture clearly shows the apparent “twist” in the leg joint.



I will have to use some filler on the joints as there are still some small gaps.  However, I’m happy that I’m in the final stage of sanding.  I will go over the entire chair up to 320 grit, and then go over it again using a superfine 3M sanding pad prior to finishing.  I hope that by my next post I will be applying the finish! 

No comments:

Post a Comment