Sunday, December 19, 2010

Back Legs (Part 1)


I spent some time reviewing the instructional DVD and book to make sure I didn’t skip any more steps.  I still see new pieces of information every time I watch it.

I found a nice piece of 8/4 wood with grain that flowed perfectly to match the curves in the leg.  I was lucky to be able to trace out both legs from the same stock.  This will keep the legs looking the same.  The dark looking spot is just a rough area, not dark grain.

In the DVD, the parts are rough cut and then a spiral cut pattern bit is used to trim the leg to its final shape.  The 2” spiral bit costs about $130.  So, I opted to cut the parts out right to the line using the band saw.   After cutting the legs, I jointed and planed them to the same thickness.


I marked out the side patterns, but I didn’t have time to cut those today.  I’ll save that for tomorrow.

I found it was easier to cut away the largest pieces first.  This lightened the stock and made it easier to control for the smaller cuts.   

No comments:

Post a Comment