Friday, December 24, 2010

Headrest (Part 2)

Today was all about the headrest.  There were no patterns provided for the headrest shape.  This allows me to be creative, but it also means I need to decide on a design and create my own pattern.  The Brock chair uses a nice looking French curve, but I decided to keep it simple with a shallow curve on the top, and a more pronounced curve on the bottom that flows into the legs.  This closely matches the Maloof chair.  Using a thin strip of maple, I created an adjustable curve to trace the arc.  Because the headrest is now curved, I drew the curve on some poster board so it can be bent on the wood.  The curves into the legs were just drawn free hand.  I cut out one side, and then folded it over to trace and cut the other side.  This ensures that the curve is symmetrical.  I suggest that you first cut the curves out on some plywood.  That way if the poster board pattern gets worn out or torn, you can quickly create another one.


Here is a picture of the curves traced onto the headrest.  I mounted it onto the chair so the curves could be drawn on the legs too.  The Brock video shows him cutting the curved headrest with no support.  I saved the back of the stock to use as a “cradle” to hold the headrest stable and make the cuts straight.


It really helps to cut just the BOTTOM curves first.  Then the holes for the spindles can be drill easier because the top is still flat.  The holes are 3/8” x 1-1/4” deep, and 2-7/8" apart.  They are set back 7/8" from the front.  After drilling, the top curve can be cut.  Here’s a picture of the finished product.


No comments:

Post a Comment