Sunday, November 21, 2010

Getting Started


Last week I finally purchased some wood!  I bought a stick of ebony for the screw plugs at Woodcraft, and then I bought 21 board feet of 8/4 black walnut at Crosscut Hardwoods in Seattle.   I’m always impressed with the vast selection of rough cut woods at Crosscut.  The plans say that the chair will require approximately 40-50 board feet of wood.  So, why did I only get 21 bf?  For starters, I only needed this much to create the seat and the front legs.  Also, these pieces were in the best shape and had the grain patterns I liked.  The stock is always turning over, so if I go back another time, I can probably find some with grain I like better.  A piece of furniture this nice deserves nice wood, so be picky and get wood without knots or imperfections.

The plans call for 10/4 wood for the arms and headrest.  Crosscut doesn’t carry 10/4 in the walnut, but they do have 12/4.  [For you newbies, rough cut wood is measured approximately in quarter inches.  So, 8/4 wood is approximately 2 inches thick, 12/4 is approximately 3” thick, etc.  A board foot is a measurement of volume consisting of 144 cubic inches.  A board that is 1” thick, 12” wide, and 12” long is one board foot (12x12x1=144).  A board that is 2” thick, 3” wide, and 24” long is also one board foot (2x3x24=144).]

I’ve watched the videos and read the plans several times now.  I highly recommend this.  Although I was taking notes and sketching during the videos, I still learned something new each time.  Sometimes, as I thought through the assembly, I would have a question and have to go through the video again.   There are several differences between the Maloof design and the design in the Brock plans, so I had to sort out those differences and then decide which method or design feature I was going to use.  I will try to point out those differences as I go through the build.

One revelation I had was that the router bits required for the saddle joints are so large that they require 1/2” shanks.  My router only has a 1/4“ collet.  Darn…I guess I’ll have to buy a new router.  :)  The other thing I realized is that the front legs require turning and are 19” long.  My Jet mini-lathe only has a 14” capacity.  While this sounds like a great excuse for a new lathe, I really don’t have the room for a full-size lathe, and I don’t do that much turning.  I think in this case, I’ll just try to find a friend that will let me borrow his/hers for a little while.

Speaking of friends… if you are new to woodworking, or just want to hang out with like-minded woodworkers, look into local clubs and guilds.  I’m a member of the Northwest Woodworking Guild in Seattle.  Besides being inspired by the other members amazing work, I also get to learn a lot at each monthly meeting.  In addition, for the small annual dues, I get discounts at Woodcraft, Rockler, and Crosscut Woods. 

No comments:

Post a Comment