Monday, November 1, 2010

My Sam Maloof Rocking Chair Adventure

When I first saw the famous rocking chair designed by Sam Maloof, I knew I had to build one.  
I also knew that I did not have the skills to build one.  Over the past 10 years, I have been enjoying woodworking on small craft projects and some outdoor furniture.  I've also been slowly building up my arsenal of tools.  Now, I finally feel that I'm ready to jump in and tackle the rocking chair.



As a part of the process, I decided to blog about my experience in hopes it will serve as both a record and a learning experience for others who would also like to build one.


This is my hobby, not my job, so my posts will be at random times and I expect it will take several months to complete the project.  Please bear with me.  I hope this will be interactive, so please send your comments.

4 comments:

  1. Just found your blog! Looking forward to following along, thanks for doing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just read your blog and its been a great help, and I haven't even started yet!

    Winston

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Winston! Helping other woodworkers was my goal. Best of luck to you on your chair. I hope you will share some pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tom, I want to thank you for your rocker blog. I have read it over several times and just completed my rocker. You did a nice job filling in some of the holes left in Brock's plans and videos. I appreciate all the time you put in your blog to help us avoid some of the mistakes. - Steve

    ReplyDelete