Sunday, November 7, 2010

Resources (Part 1)

This project will no doubt use most of the tools in my shop, and probably some that I don't have (yet).  Every project is an excuse to buy more tools, right?  Rather than trying to provide you with a comprehensive list of tools up front, I'll create a running list of tools as I use them.  When I'm finished, then the list will be complete.  Of course, there are many different ways to skin a cat.  I don't intend to use all of the same tools that Sam Maloof used, nor to I expect that you will use the same tools that I use.  The tool list will just be a reference of one possible solution for working the wood.

My primary sources of information on the design and build process come from three sources.  The first is the book I mentioned earlier, "Sam Maloof: Woodworker".  This is a comprehensive book about Sam's life and career.  It also walks through the chair building steps for the rocker and other furniture pieces too.  It is full of helpful pictures.  Unfortunately, I was unable to find a brand new hardcopy of the book, so I bought a paperback version.  It's a beautiful coffee table book, but if you don't want to spend the money, you can probably find a copy at the library.  (My local library has several copies.)

The second reference is a DVD titled,"Sam Maloof: A Fine Woodworking DVD Profile". 

I picked this up at the Woodcraft store, but It is also available from Amazon and other sources.  This DVD provides some of Sam's history, but more importantly shows him at work.  Nothing is more helpful than seeing his technique in action.  The video allows you to see the tools he uses and to get a sense of the sequence he follows in building a chair.  He also provides some very helpful insights that I hope to pass along in this blog.

The third reference is a similar video series that is accessible online.   It can be found on The Woodworking Chanel video library and is called, "Sam Maloof: A Woodworking Experience".  It appears to be a master class that was filmed live.  Like the previous DVD it shows Sam at work and provides many useful hints.  Some of the actual work is done off camera by assistants, but it is still incredibly helpful in understanding the construction process.  It's quite long, but broken down into several shorter clips.

These are my primary sources of information.  I believe with these references I can build a chair correctly.  I'm not saying that these references are required, just that they are very helpful.  There might be other (and better) resources out there as well.  If you know of any, please feel free to share them in a comment.  Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment