Tuesday, November 2, 2010

A Little Background

If you're reading this blog, you have probably already heard of Sam Maloof.  I can't do justice to a thorough biography in this small post, so instead I'll just link you to his foundation website.

Mr. Maloof was an iconic woodworker and made some of the most unique furniture of our time.  Some of his work is even in the Smithsonian.  Unfortunately, he passed away just last year.



The Maloof rocking chair has an aerodynamic, almost fluid, look due to the sculptured bridle joints and thin laminated rockers.  It appears too fragile to use, but is incredibly strong.  There are many versions of the chair with slight variations.  It's been built with maple, rosewood, walnut, cocobolo, and other types of wood.  These are some of the design decisions that I will have to make for my chair.  I'll cover that in future posts.

Rock on...

No comments:

Post a Comment