Saturday, November 27, 2010

More Patterns


I completed the rest of the patterns today.  They were cut from plywood of various thicknesses depending on their purpose.  Fortunately, most of the patterns don’t need to be too exact since the parts will need to be sculpted and shaped later.  No, I won’t provide the patterns in the blog.  You will have to buy them just like I did!


I also completed the 6 degree jig for the table saw.  The printed drawing of the 6 degree angle was a bit off.  I used two different methods to ensure I had a true 6 degrees.  I compared a protractor and a printed angle gauge I use for my scroll saw.   All in all, it’s probably not that critical.  Maloof uses a 5 degree angle on the back legs.  I doubt that anyone can see the difference between 5 and 7 degrees anyway.  The only remaining piece I need to make is the form for the laminated rockers, but I’ll have to get a sheet of 3/4” plywood first.

One frustration I have with the plans is that there is not a complete set of dimensional drawings.  For instance, there is no drawing for the back leg front profile.  You have to watch the video and take good notes to get all of the information you need.  All of the information is there.  I just think it could be presented in a way that makes it easier for the user.

I came across another blog for the build of a Hal Taylor rocking chair.  It’s interesting to see the differences in the designs.  The Hal Taylor seat isn’t coopered, but the headrest is.  There are no “ears” on the back legs.  The spindles are a different shape.  And the arms are shaped by making coves on the table saw.  It uses the same Maloof inspired bridle joints, but it is definitely not a Maloof copy.  That’s fine.  It’s a beautiful, unique design of its own.

No comments:

Post a Comment